February 4, 2010

Things to Think About Before Going Vegan

High angle view of assorted spices at a spice stall



There are quite a few things one should consider before becoming a vegan.

After strongly investigating vegan menus and recipes, you will find that veganism really promotes the spice of life. It is not an easy road by any means, but it may encourage you to live vibrantly and with a new purpose!

I have not reached the veteran stage of vegan lifestyle yet, but I will share what I have learned.

First, you might be asking, WHAT is a vegan?

A vegan is a very strict vegetarian. For instance, on occasion, a vegetarian may include eggs or poultry in recipes whereas a vegan simply would not. It is my rule of thumb that I don't consume anything with eyeballs!

My veganism is purely dietary and I label it a work in progress, so see, this is totally something any one can achieve.

If you are curious, it is important to complete due diligence and learn the lingo and expectations of this way of life for you will be confronted often with questions, comments, and concerns.

When contemplating a vegan diet it is vital to consider that some vegans develop a complete life change that is free from leather, cosmetics, furs, and anything remotely involving animal bodies or secretions.

While I totally sympathize with wildlife(I do!), I simply have not moved to where I can actually give up my favorite boots. I am STRIVING for the day when my attitude will include my attire, but for now, I simply do not eat or drink anything that comes from the abuse of animals. Also, my cosmetics are cruelty-free.

I will admit to consuming goat products because here in Illinois they are typically maintained under humane conditions. My goat products come from a specific farm in Champaign that I can visit and this allows me to sleep at night. I sleep knowing there was no harm done giving me my feta cheese!

Why am I a vegan? Well, my decision to become a vegan stems from a REALLY ugly encounter with a bad burger. As I lay there wishing for death to envelop me, I swore to the Maker and the Clouds and Saints above that I would never, ever touch ANYTHING that mooed again unless I was kissing it, and I went from there.

My household does not feel the same about my food choices and that's okay. For their meat-eating pleasure, I purchase products from Fresh Picks who has relationships with local farms and brings their produce to the city. I hope my supporting Fresh Picks will encourage some of you to build partnerships with your food handlers and hold our agriculture environments accountable to practicing kosher or halal or some form of humane handling.

Being a vegan has been a process for me that has spanned years, but I must say, I have felt so incredibly alive by not eating things that are alive, that I am really thankful for that day I prayed to expire!

The vegan world is also entwined with feminism and a host of other leagues of nations that as a mother, I have not had the time to investigate myself. However, if you are seeking a lighter way of living, that is purposeful and direct, look into becoming a vegan.

It can be fun searching for healthier ways to feed your brood. Restaurants are a challenge - but that can be a good thing because MOST times there aren't enough meat-free or dairy-free items on the menu for anyone to over eat. You will lose inches and gain knowledge living a vegan life.

Additionally, feel free to act powerfully and unafraid. I may not subscribe to ALL of the definitions of being a vegan, but the aspiration is there. Intention can be a powerful statement too!

Some phenomenal sites you may enjoy perusing while on your journey are: Digging Through The Dirt, Vegan.com and Vegan Etsy.

In my sharing with you what I consider health conscious, what do you think helps you to go out there and have a healthy day? Many times health is a state of mind that we must nurture, so promoting what feels right for you is also beneficial. Do you attribute your happy mindset to food? Exercise? A beer? What makes you feel your best?

2 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

House:


both of my kids are vegetarians (my daughter started 14 years ago), but my wife and I still eat meat, but it's been a LONG time since we've had ground beef

the article below appeared in The New York Times in October of 2009. I even pasted to my Facebook profile:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/health/04meat.html?_r=1

Unknown said...

Good for them, Tom! It is hard, but I feel better. Had to adjust my creole cooking for myself, but my family still enjoys neck bones and pork chops and meatloaf!!!! At least I've brought a consciousness to the house,right??