August 30, 2009

Je t'aime pour toujours, Nouvelle Orleans!




I did not write about Hurricane Katrina yesterday.

I spent the entire day honoring the city, its people and my Gran.

Many of you who read here know she was the force in my life. She made me who I am and who she was, was NOLA.

Everything she did, from the chicory in her coffee, to the fruit in her jello, to Revillion and the mid-night masses Christmas Eve, was NOLA.

As a child she almost lost her life to NOLA in a battle with malaria.

I don't even speak about her gumbo, only Leah Chase knows anything about that.

When she passed, my heart broke like never before ~ only until Katrina had I suffered like that.

I was not there, but I watched, and groaned, and yelled at the television for someone to go there.

Then I went there.

It still pains me 4 years later, the images, the suffering and the unanswered pledges.

The "refugees" of their own land, left to drown.

Here in Chicago, I try to look at the good.

The dedication. The voices. The renewal speak. The Hope.

I enjoy being able to have Cafe Dumond on our shelves here because of so many displaced.

I enjoy all the things we used to have to search for or have shipped.

Jewel carries ALL the NOLA brands now. But, I long to move.

Where the sky hangs, the humidity hugs and the people are smiling.

Where the streets come alive and there is a party in the hearts.

Folks let's help to keep NOLA alive.

Do what you can.

I won't bombard you with a list. {Yes, there is still a list} BUT, I think the most important causes right now are the New Orleans School District, Charity Hospital, and Levees.org.

2 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

I can make a pretty good jambalaya, but there's a place in Evanston that makes some pretty good Cajun food.

It's called the Dixie Kitchen and Bait Shop.

I've had dinner there a couple of times, but never breakfast.

According to the reviews I've read on line, breakfast is THE meal to get here, and it includes chicory coffee.

http://foodio54.com/restaurant/Evanston-IL/250c7/Dixie-Kitchen--Bait-Shop

We should do breakfast here sometime, but it may be tricky coordinating our schedules.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a date! I LOVE Dixie Kitchen. Good Southern, down-home cooking - Let's make it soon! YUM!