December 3, 2012

Fiscal Cliff



This corner, here in beautiful Chicago, is in one of our more wealthy areas. 

If I had to choose to live on any corner, it would probably be on this one. There's a Starbucks, access to the "L", fine dining for scraps, and great people watching.

I am about a check and a half away, give or take a few weeks vacation time, from living here. Many Americans are right with me.

During the 90's, when life was great for many of us, I was still hurting. I was having difficulty coming fresh off a divorce with a man who did not willingly pay child support. I somehow managed to have money in the bank. That has all changed. 

Many Americans have faced catastrophes, natural disasters, real estate dives and medical emergencies that have adversely affected their coins.

As a supporter of President Obama, I received an email detailing this latest Congressional standoff being labeled as the "fiscal cliff".

The Senate has passed a bill that stops taxes from going up for 98 percent of American families, and asks those who can afford it to pay a little more. If the House follows suit, President Obama is ready to sign it as soon as it hits his desk.

If they fail to do so, a typical middle-class family of four will see their taxes go up by $2,000 in just a few short weeks.


Would this affect you? 

I am a family of 3. It really doesn't matter what the amount, as any added deficit in an already negative situation will be devastating for me.

What is your take? Will you stand up? Or is this stance a good thing in your eyes?

No comments: