October 8, 2012

In 1492 Columbus Sailed The Ocean Blue...



I often wonder what my life would have been like if my ancestors had actually immigrated here as opposed to being brought/bought/caught here.

Every Columbus Day since I began this blog I have used Columbus Day to rant about my feeling that the day should be a day of atonement and reflection on genocide and occupation. This year I am sharing a little rap.

People of color generally do not enjoy this holiday - it is a painful reminder of the atrocities minorities have faced in this country from the very beginning; one that continues to this very day.

Ah, well, the day off sort of makes up for it....

Big thanks to my high school classmate Todd for sharing this video on Facebook today.

What do you tell your children about Columbus Day?

1 comment:

Tom Brennan said...

Minorities will be the majority of our population within 30 years, and the New York Times article below explains why that's a very good thing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/us/whites-account-for-under-half-of-births-in-us.html?pagewanted=all