August 31, 2008

My Heart ~



You guys all know by now that while I was born and raised on Chicago's South Side, I am a New Orleanian at heart. My family's lineage is from there. My soul mate, our family's late patriarch, my beautiful, graceful maternal grandmother was born there. It was her love and so it became mine. My great-grandfather spoke creole/french and was raised there, as was his wife, my great-grandmother. Their coming to Chicago was only after my great-grandfather's years of working as a cook on the railway. They came for the North's promise of a better life. The Amtrak "City of New Orleans" runs straight from Chicago to New Orleans each and every day. Sometimes I think my heart is still on that train, running back and forth.

New Orleans is what I think of every morning. As I drink my coffee with chicory, I literally envision Cafe Du Monde and Jackson Square ~ and so, today my heart is breaking, right alongside everyone elses and those who are packing up and moving out as we await Gustav.

Gustav, please be gentle with my heart...

No comments: