November 14, 2007

How about a little K. R. Copeland today???


Photo courtesy of K.R. Copeland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Law of Very Large Numbers

“With a large enough sample, any outrageous thing is apt to happen”

~~Persi Diaconis, Frederick Mosteller, Harvard University

I draw my thoughts out in long lines, word after enervating word as if trying to catch a fish off in the distance. My wrist grows tired from the casting, my mind reels. It’s easy to get caught in strings of lingo, when interlaced they make a mighty net. Still I’d bet there’s been a dozen other mongers who have said the same thing using much less sweat. So I’ll take a break, a breather, here beneath this shady tree, have a sandwich and a drink of something sweet. Greet a mega-swarm of several swarms of Africanized bees, the vibrato of their buzzing causing pleasure far beyond the pond or seas.
~ K.R. Copeland

The Law of Very Large Numbers first appeared in, Stirring

No comments: