September 22, 2011

What are we teaching our children re: Troy Davis?




Everyday I tell my son, watch who you are with, what you say and how you react to other people.

It is not a fool-proof method, but it is my hope and prayer that the constant reminder will one day save his life.

He is a moving target.

A man of color is not safe in this world. Period. For reasons that are current, and reasons that date back 200 + years. Society is trecherous for us all in one way or another, which is why I always press for some sort of personal responsibility when it pertains to your life choices.

I have been with my son when women of non-color have moved away from him on the train.

My heart bleeds every time I consider the statistics. Other teens. Urban Terrorists. Police.

It is a recipe for death.

So what exactly are we telling our teens to ensure that they are not wrongly convicted of killing someone? Mass protests to change laws is always a good thing...

But where is the emphasis on conflict resolution? Where is the media's reminders that our youth simply can NOT be out carrying weapons while consuming alcohol? Someone yells obscenities so you shoot them? Is it okay to hang with someone possessing a weapon or causing conflicts?

I fully understand someone's "right" to be out late, party, and possess a firearm.

BUT, again, it is always a recipe for death.

Don't confuse our youth.

It is a sad day when anyone is executed. I'm not sure how I feel about the death penalty, our legal system is definitely flawed. But make no mistake ... I sit and listen to the felonious and liars ALL DAY LONG.

90% of the time, I am the first person who has entered their lives who says, "Could you have done anything differently?" 100% of the time they say "YES."

No comments: