September 8, 2011

SLOW LOVE ~ Dominque Browning




Dominique Browning's SLOW LOVE was a love ~ hate relationship almost like being in love!


Her self assessments disgusted me, humiliated me, or made me feel itchy. Then an emotion would nab me with such precision it would leave me gasping for air.


Being at the top, only to fall, Browning's tale of unemployment, realization and pajamas grabs and entangles you.


Browning also managed to squeeze a bit of envy from me. 


As a single mom between retirement and abhorrence for my current employment, sometimes I wish for a pink slip but recant because "Slow love is about knowing what you've got before it's gone." And while I don't have "snowdrops", there are lives that I touch. It is in my best interest right now to hold on for dear life and the lives of those I service daily.


Browning's "Love" also tells tales of lover Stroller and profound "lessons".  For some reason, I relate well to "lessons" and "rules". Leroy Jethro Gibbs rules of NCIS intrigue me STILL!!


Lesson #3 struck me most. Do not cling to old patterns. Nothing can ever be what it once was.


In reading Slow Love, I connected with things that I didn't care for, but was also taken aback by relatable inserts...truly making her piece worthwhile. 


"Where does everything go" 's multiple meanings, introspection and visualization can be meaningful if you are ready to embrace truth that isn't always neat and easy. Uncomfortable ascension is what you get when you read Slow Love.

No comments: