January 21, 2008

Mardi Gras Favorite ~ Andrea Mistretta!!!!



I just had to track down the artist who has enriched the Mardi Gras experience these last decades! She has been a supporter of New Orleans, and after Katrina, a force for recovery! This week, we are having Friends On Friday on Monday!
I thought it might be appropriate because it is the observance of Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday. We here at Healthier, Happier, You!!!! will certainly be promoting that "when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!" ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Sometimes when I close my eyes, I feel like we are almost there! Thank you Dr. King! I am so glad you were born!!!! So, here's Andrea!


Andrea, I love your work on Barbara B Barnett Designs, The colors leave one speechless! Tell us about these creations.
I am no longer represented by Barbara but I continue with licensing my own art to the giftware, home fashions and stationery industries. This a fraction of the literally thousands of pieces of art I have created in my portfolio and archives.

There is an image of the Madonna with her Christ child, tell us a bit about that piece. I absolutely love it!
It is an acrylic on canvas that was commissioned to be printed on gift bags, and greeting cards for 2008.

I know we are supposed to be talking about your Mardi Gras art, but you are so talented in so many areas, how did you get started?
I worked with my Dad in his little print shop when I was a teen. I am self taught. Hard work , luck and miracles have allowed me to endure in this business of art.(This is the short story.)

I read somewhere that you have been designing Mardi Gras posters over two decades, is that possible??? You are so young! Tell us about your famed longest running Mardi Gras poster series.
Yes, 23 years in a row. It’s the longest running series of posters by one artist.

When researching you, I uncovered alot of material in Italian! My Italian is spotty, but you are famous world-wide. Tell us about your Italian connection. Did you create an airbrush kit that is selling widely there?
I have designed a special airbrusher’s shield that is distributed worldwide and used by many in the airbrush medium.

You have been such a blessing to New Orleans. How has New Orleans seeped into your soul? What are some of your favorite things about NOLA?
New Orleans is a blessing to me. The vibrant creative climate and its appreciation for individuals the visual and musicals art has allowed me to flourish as an artist and person. The friends and fans have been my muse and I thrive because of them. I don’t live in New Orleans but I am spiritually present there all the time which is why I continue my partnership with New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity. I need to do all I can to care for New Orleans and never forget it.

Andrea, you are so fascinating, thank you so much for your time. I am deeply touched.
I am so amazed with the care and interest you have. I hope your site really reaches out with lots of interesting and positive information to many.
God bless you and Good Luck.


Andrea, it has been such a pleasure, we will be sure to check in with you periodically!




For authentic posters signed by Andrea visit her official website ~ MARDIGRASGRAPHICS.com
also visit ANDREAMISTRETTA.COM and pick up the YouTube video here!
Enjoy your Dr. MLK Day!

No comments: